Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Return via Bahamas, or via Bermuda?

Reprinted from SSCA.org:
My post:
Ok, so I have decided to go offhore all the way down from New England to the Leewards leaving in late Oct. I want to have weeks to explore the leewards, hang around and kiteboard. I have about 5 months for the trip. The question now is: do I come back via the Bahamas? I wanted to hopscotch the Bahamas on the way back, but I am not sure that I have time, and don't know if the sailing is good. What should I expect sailing across the Mona passage in late Feb, and what would it be like to head from the northern Bahamas to the East coast up around North Carolina in March? I am beginning to think I should get a crew together and sail straight back via Bermuda? Also, I am tempted to make landfall further east, like Barbuda, as opposed to tortola so that I have less weatherly work to do, and so I make the big hop from Tortola SE while I have a larger crew. Does this make sense, or am I worrying too much?_________________Walter S/V Madness
Back to top


Response

DefJefJoined: 24 Jun 2006Posts: 200Location: NYC
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:50 pm Post subject:

If you intend to explore the windwards I would make land fall at Antigua or Guadeloupe. Sailing down the windwards islands from there is a decent beam to broad reach usually. The same applies on the way up. Barbados is a beat to windward. I don't the sail from Antigua through the Bahamas. We were pretty much running before the wind until we hit FL. It was easy and pleasant sailing. I prefer the mountainous windward Islands for "cruising". The sail up from there to Bermuda is about a week or some and the conditions can be anything once you get above the trades. You can also sail up the stream which will give you a boost as long as you don't try it in a northerly. ICK. Get Chris Doyle's cruising guides for the Windward and Leeward Islands. Everything you need to know is in there.

No comments: